Tutoring-Testing and Rideouts
Latest news from RoSPA

24th February 2021

Dear Chairman and Secretaries,

I trust you are keeping well and safe,

Following the recent government announcement it is unlikely that we will be able to resume tutoring or testing for cars or bikes throughout England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland prior to April 12th, we are in close contact with the DVSA and we will receive further updates closer to the time.

Anyone who receives an automatic retest notification should still book through the online portal to ensure you can retain your last test result, and so that your retest can be booked as soon as it is safe to do so. Tutoring and testing is also currently paused in the Republic of Ireland, and we will be monitoring the easing of restrictions there too.

Fleet training and testing undertaken by RoSPA is also paused until at least April 12, although it is important to note Emergency Service testing and Banksman courses are continuing where essential work is required.
Group activities
In England, while people will be allowed to meet outside within the “rule of six” from March 29, the advice at that point will still be to stay local as much as possible, and we would therefore advise against group ride-outs until at least until April 12 when the restrictions are due to ease further (although the rule of six will still apply outdoors and groups won’t be allowed to meet indoors, with limited exceptions).
From May 17, people should be able to meet in groups of up to 30 outdoors, or of up to six indoors, representing another opportunity for group activities to resume, although we understand that social distancing could still be required. From June 21, with all legal limits on social contact due to be removed, we anticipate that all group activities will be able to take place without restriction. Please note, the dates above are subject to change by the Government depending on how the easing of restrictions goes in the earlier stages.
In Scotland, there will be a return to the previous tiered system from April 26, and so groups will need to assess their ability to hold activities against the tier that they are in and what the specific rules are with regard to meeting up and travelling between areas. No date has yet been set for the complete lifting of restrictions.
For Wales, we are awaiting the next review of restrictions which is due to take place on March 12.
Similarly for Northern Ireland, we are awaiting the next review, which is due to take place on March 18.
For any other questions, please see the FAQs section of our website at RoSPA Advanced Drivers and Riders | About us | RoADAR

Please do liaise with your Regional Coordinator and or Regional Senior Examiner where appropriate to do so.

With spring just around the corner, we very much hope that groups will be able to get out and about to enjoy the improving weather over the coming months but we’ll continue to be led by official guidance. In the meantime, stay safe.
Best wishes

Amy Brant
Head of Driver Training